FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
1) DO YOU HAVE AN EXPERT IN MY AREA?
We have experts all over North America and Europe.
2) CAN YOU RECOMMEND AN EXPERT IN MY AREA?
We travel frequently to many States and Countries and can easily arrange to meet you and examine your artwork.
3) WHAT KIND OF ARTWORK DO YOU AUTHENTICATE?
We authenticate paintings, works on paper, sculpture, and bronzes.
4) WHERE SHOULD I TAKE A PAINTING TO FIND OUT IF IT IS AUTHENTIC?
Please contact us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to begin the authentication process.
5) DO YOU ISSUE CERTIFICATES OF AUTHENTICITY?
Yes. Art Experts has over ten years of experience issuing certificates of authenticity for paintings, watercolors, drawings, prints, sculpture, and bronzes.
6) HOW LONG DOES THE AUTHENTICATION PROCESS TAKE?
It may take a week to a month, depending on the complexity of the case.
7) MY PAINTING IS BY AN UNKNOWN PAINTER CAN YOU HELP ME?
We have a great deal of experience working on attributions, and may be able to crack the case.
8) CAN YOU ALSO DO APPRAISALS?
Yes, we are USPAP-certified appraisers whose appraisals are accepted for insurance, taxes, estates, legal and other official purposes.
9) I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT I MUST SEE AN EXPERT OVERSEAS, IS THAT NECESSARY?
No. Our international team of art historians includes official experts for many artists.
10) DO AUCTION HOUSES, GALLERIES, AND PRIVATE BUYERS ACCEPT YOUR CERTIFICATES OF AUTHENTICITY?
Yes, we have an international reputation for integrity, accuracy, and scholarship. Many times the reasoning and details in our report and our certificate of authenticity are critical in helping to sell an artwork. We cannot, however, be responsible for the vagaries of the auction market, galleries, or private buyers.
11) SHOULD I SEND MY PAINTING TO YOU?
No, we do not have the facilities to accommodate artwork sent to us. We would be pleased to examine your picture in person or to work from your photographs. You must insure a valuable item, like a painting, or piece of sculpture, before it is shipped anywhere; but it cannot be insured until we determine its authenticity.
12) WE HAVE NO PROVENANCE (HISTORY OF OWNERSHIP) FOR OUR PAINTING.
Our team has been researching provenances since 2002, in addition to providing art authentication services. We have undertaken systematic provenance research in cases that involved complicated, international chains of ownership.
13) CAN'T I RESEARCH THE PROVENANCE MYSELF?
It is more efficient to have an objective, trained professional do it. Some of the information is intricate. Not all of it is publicly available and access to specialized libraries and archives is often necessary.
14) CAN YOU HELP ME SELL MY PAINTING, OR SELL IT FOR ME?
We will provide you with guidance and advice and put you in touch with a trusted and reliable art broker.
15) MY PAINTING IS NOT IN THE CATALOGUE RAISONNÉ; CAN YOU HELP ME?
Yes, new works are always being discovered; catalogues raisonnés are rarely complete or infallibly accurate.
16) WHAT ABOUT PIGMENT ANALYSIS OR INFRARED TECHNOLOGY FOR AUTHENTICATION?
These will not authenticate a painting by themselves. Pigment analysis will help you date the pigment; infrared can give you a fresh perspective on the painting, but infrared will not compare a piece with other works by the artist, or illuminate the provenance.
17) WHAT ARE YOUR CREDENTIALS?
We have graduate and undergraduate degrees in art history from some of the best programs in the world. Some of us have PhDs; many of us have taught art history, worked as art critics, and appraisers.