DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid)
Is it possible to demonstrate the authenticity of a painting with DNA testing?
How is it done?
It is a 7-step process:
1. Genetic matter, most often a hair, from the painter has to be located in the painting.
2. The material has to be extracted, causing as little damage as possible to the painting.
3. The material has to be tested to determine if DNA can be extracted from it.
4. DNA from the artist has to be located.
5. The DNA from the hair and the DNA from the artist must be compared to see if they match.
6. A report must be prepared putting the painting in the context of its creation.
7. A report about the DNA search, collection, sample and testing must be presented with verifiable references and information to show that everything is legitimate and was controlled every step of the way.
We perform DNA authentications from the initial search and extraction to the final report. To know if your painting can be authenticated by DNA testing, contact us:
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By phone: 212-203-7833
We typically respond to inquiries within 24 hours.